Wednesday, September 4, 2013

So, I finally watched the new Great Gatsby movie.  I was very concerned about it, because the book is dear to my heart.

I found it to be quite delightful and enjoyable.  Obviously, I watched it on the little wee TV because SOMEONE was playing Skyrim on the third floor, but other than the graphics being a bit muddled, both because of little TV and that it was filmed in 3D, I thought it was just great.

The acting was spot on, and well cast.  They were all very believable, and actually quite close to what I had always imagined.  The fraility and flutteriness of Daisy, the "safety" of Tom, and the crazed drive of Gatsby was evoked quite well.  I thought they really portrayed the characters close to what I thought they would be, and actually got into some subliminal messages that weren't obvious unless you've read the book a hundred times like I have.

Visually it was beautiful, though like I said, perhaps a little too CGI because of the 3D.

The soundtrack, which at first I was weirded out by because it was modern (I'm a traditionalist when it comes to period films), really actually fit the movie quite well and wasn't quite as odd as Moulin Rouge (which I also found delightful after getting over it and just rolling with the times).

Good show!

No comments:

Post a Comment